Meaning of ‘Teacher’
A ‘teacher’ is a person who delivers an educational program, assesses student participation in an educational program, and/or administers or provides consistent and substantial leadership to an educational program. The teaching must be in a school or in another setting delivering an educational program prescribed under the Education (Queensland College of Teachers) Act 2005. This requires the educational program to be based on a syllabus or kindergarten guideline* approved or accredited by the Queensland Studies Authority. In effect this means the teaching must be in Queensland.
This means for example:
- Teaching the QSA Kindergarten Guideline with the Pre-Prep year (ie with 3½ to 4 ½ year old students) is acceptable for recency of practice purposes.
- A non-teaching Principal role is acceptable for recency of practice purposes
- Advisory teachers may include the time spent in school for recency of practice purposes
*The following teaching experience in Queensland with the Pre-Prep year (ie with 3½ to 4 ½ year old students) is also acceptable for recency of practice purposes:
- experience prior to 2011 in C&K Kindergartens and in other early childhood settings using the draft QSA Kindergarten Learning Guideline or the Early Years Learning Framework
- experience gained from 2011 in C&K Kindergartens using the QSA accredited Building Waterfalls kindergarten guideline.
For renewal of registration purposes see also 'recency of practice'.