From the Chair of the Board
It gives me great pleasure to welcome you to the Queensland College of Teachers' website.
After 50 years as a teacher in Queensland, I am delighted to have been reappointed to the role of Chair of the QCT Board. As the organisation with major responsibility for teacher standards in this state, the QCT is charged with an extremely important role, one with significant influence on the Queensland of today and of tomorrow.
Teachers are a key factor in determining the future well being of our society. Teaching is a challenging role and a teacher’s work is made more complex by a rapidly changing world. Queensland is fortunate to have so many committed teachers making a significant difference to students’ lives, everyday.
The QCT exists to uphold professional standards and ethics and promote the profession. In working towards its legislated functions, the QCT has made considerable progress since it was established in 2006. Major achievements to date include:
- Developing new professional standards for Queensland teachers, detailing the knowledge, practice and values of teachers
- Developing a Continuing Professional Development framework
- Implementing processes for the five-yearly renewal of teachers' full registration
- Developing new guidelines for the approval of teacher education programs, based on the professional standards for teachers
- Implementing a new process for moving from provisional to full registration
- Implementing the two-tiered disciplinary framework established under the Education (Queensland College of Teachers) Act 2005
- Developing a framework for managing complaints against teachers
- Developing a Code of Ethics for Teachers in Queensland
- Developing research plans and undertaking research projects
- Developing Strategic Plans and a Service Charter
- Publishing a newsletter to inform teachers about registration issues and the QCT’s activities on their behalf
- Publishing a periodical Research Digest summarising recent research on particular issues in teaching.
I see the QCT's role as largely one of ensuring the high standards that already exist among Queensland teachers are maintained and enhanced. I look forward to continuing to work with teachers and other education interest groups to achieve the QCT's vision of a teaching profession highly esteemed for its standards of professional competence and ethics.
Joe McCorley OAM
Chair of the Board
Queensland College of Teachers