Right to Information and Information Privacy
From the 1st July 2009 new legislation replacing the Freedom of Information Act 1992 has been enacted. The Right to Information Act 2009 (RTI) and the Information Privacy Act 2009 (IP) provide for information to be released unless on balance, disclosure of the information would be contrary to the public interest. Reasons for non-disclosure are clearly set out in the RTI and IP Acts.
The RTI Act concerns your right to government or other non-personal information.
The IP Act provides safeguards for the handling of personal information in the public sector environment and to allow access to and amendment of personal information.
The QCT makes a wide range of information available through its publications, most of which are available free of charge on this website.
Please see our list of Published information before lodging an official RTI IP Access Application or contact the on 3377 4777 if you require any further assistance.
Official RTI IP Access Application Process
- Complete and lodge a hard copy of the RTI IP Access Application form (PDF, 109kB). Online applications are not available for RTI applications to the QCT.
- Return your application to QCT by mail: Queensland College of Teachers, PO Box 389, Toowong, QLD 4066 or by fax: (07) 3870 5006.
- Pay a fee of $40.50 (RTI applications only). There is no cost to you to look at your own personal information.
- The QCT will contact you if you will need to pay any other reasonable charges in relation to the application if it is granted.
- The QCT will contact you within 25 business days from the date the application was received. This period can be extended by 10 business in some circumstances.
- When your application has been processed, QCT will send you a letter setting out QCT’s decision regarding your application and the reasons for the decision.
An official RTI IP Access Application must:
- Be on the approved form .
- Provide sufficient information to identify the document(s)
- State a mailing address
- Be accompanied by a fee of $40.50 (RTI applications only) Evidence of identity is required within 10 business days after making the application (must be a certified copy if sent via post). Evidence of identity includes:
- Current driver's licence
- Identifying page of current passport
- Birth certificate
- Copy of a prisoner's identity card certified by a corrective services officer
- Statutory declaration of an individual who has known the applicant for at least one year